Dental Phobia, Odontophobia, Dentophobia: All of these terms are used to describe the extreme panic felt by 9-20% of adults when faced with visiting the dentist. Many put off visits for years, resulting in the need for additional dental work. Does this sound like you? Fortunately, there is nothing to fear when working with an empathetic and understanding dentist. We believe there is no need to be embarrassed about your fears. In fact, being open and honest from the beginning is the best way to overcome your fears.
At Grillo Dental we understand how you may be feeling and when our staff is aware of your uneasiness, they can work to make you more comfortable or even suggest some various methods that might help you relax. We offer several VIP amenities for our patients, and one of the favorites that our patients with anxiety appreciate is our therapy dog, Jerry! We also provide complimentary wifi, blankets, headrests, headphones and mounted TVs on our ceilings to put you at ease. Dr. Grillo is also prepared to address your dental fears by offering anti-anxiety medication prior to your visit and for more extensive cases will bring in anesthesiologist if necessary.
We’d like for you to keep a few things in mind as you begin your journey toward overcoming your fear and achieving optimal oral health:
- Tell our front desk team about your fears and specify exactly what part of the procedure you are afraid of when you call the office to schedule your appointment. This allows our dentists to be prepared to accommodate your needs whenever possible.
- Bring a distraction. Listen to music or an audiobook with headphones during the procedure to keep your mind off the work being done and drown out the sound of the procedure.
- Remember that there is not much your dentist has not seen. If you’re embarrassed about the condition of your teeth, don’t be. We are here to help improve your smile, not judge it.
- Talk to Dr. Grillo about your fears and tell him about your past experiences. Patients come to us with a variety of fears such as fear of choking, fear of the needle or drill or they panic feeling of being trapped in a dental chair. Whatever your fear our trustworthy dentists will understand your concern and will work to accommodate your needs whenever possible.
- If you're still feeling panicked about the visit, don’t hesitate to ask what is available to help you relax. You might be surprised by the options available to you.
Now that you’re prepared give us a call at 860-648-2848 to schedule an appointment or 860-969-2059 if you’re a new patient. Let our staff know about your concerns and any fears or anxiety you may have. We can’t wait to make you feel great about your smile in the most comforting way you need!
“I am so happy I found this place! I tend to pass out at the site of a needle so needless to say dental appt's cause me a lot of anxiety. Dr. Zach was aware of my fear and made sure I was completely comfortable during my procedure. He even waited a little longer for my anti-anxiety medication to kick in rather than trying to rush through everything. The entire staff is so friendly and professional. The women at the front desk explain everything to you regarding billing and they are always so friendly. The office is beautiful and has a nice home feeling rather than a stale dental office. I highly recommend this practice to anyone looking for a dentist.” Marie B.